The police in the Free State urged the residents of Naudeville to be wary of a bogus taxi in the area after a 26-year-old man was robbed after he entered the vehicle.
DANGEROUS BOGUS TAXI IN FREE STATE
The victim was heading from Naudeville to the Welkom CBD when he entered a white Toyota Conquest (registration HCL 208 FS) he thought was a taxi at approximately 15:30 on 23 October.
“When he entered the vehicle there was a driver and two passengers. The vehicle drove in the outskirts of the town towards Bultfontein road, the two passengers drew knives and the driver drew a handgun,” said Captain Stephen Thakeng.
The suspects searched the man and took R800 in cash from him before removing him from the bogus taxi.
The victim was uninjured and reported the incident to the Welkom police at 18:00 on the same day. A case of armed robbery was opened.
“Residents of Naudeville and other suburbs are sternly warned to only use vehicles with taxi cab to show that it’s the real taxi,” said the police spokesperson.
Members of the public with information about the bogus taxi and the suspects are encouraged to contact the Welkom police station at 079-886-5574 or call Crime Stop at 08600-10111.
- PowerBall dividends: 50 players win R14k – jackpot rolls over to R70m
- Ramaphosa to attend Godongwana’s medium term budget speech
- New UK PM Rishi Sunak says he will focus on ‘economic stability’
- Adidas immediately terminates Kanye partnership over antisemitism
- ‘FNB winner’: Witbank businessman collects R28m jackpot
- Eskom says exam centres can’t be saved from load shedding
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.