This Transport Month, MasterDrive is tackling an issue that is close to the hearts of many South Africans: driving under the influence. Almost everyone has been affected or knows someone that has tragically or seriously been affected by this scourge on our roads.
MasterDrive lives by the ethos that we need to make a difference and, consequently, is launching a brand-new initiative during Transport Month entitled, DRIVING THE INFLUENCE. The CEO of MasterDrive, Eugene Herbert, explains: “Driving the Influence will bring together a number of industry role-players in a panel discussion who will illustrate the importance of all industries and individuals working together to reduce the epidemic of drink driving in South Africa.
“A number of speakers will also address the decisions, the impact and issues around employee wellness with regards to drinking, and in particular, when driving. The panel and speakers were carefully selected to provide a well-rounded perspective on driving under the influence and how we can commit to changing the current status quo that exists in South Africa,” says Herbert.
The panel discussion on driving under the influence will include:
- Bongani Semenya, Corporate Affairs Specialist from Heineken
- Clarence Sibiya, Campaign Manager from Distell
- Lebogang Mashigo, Sustainability Manager from Diageo
- Pamela Nkuna, Corporate Affairs Director for South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa for Pernod-Ricard
- Dale Reid, Product Marketing Manager at Ford South Africa.
The speakers will include:
- Dr Yvonne Taylor, chief inspector at the National Police Wellbeing Service, who will open events with a welcome and as one of our international speakers will provide a perspective of law enforcement and drunk driving in the UK.
- Anton Cornelissen, head of Santam Heavy Haulage, will discuss the impact of driving under the influence on insurance.
- Ian Edwards, driver psychologist and road safety practitioner and researcher, is the second international speaker and will speak about the psychology behind choosing to drink and drive
- Tafi Mazikana, CEO and Co-founder of Vimbo Health, will provide a perspective on mental wellness in the workplace and the connection to alcohol.
- Candice Rew, MD of Bonfire Media, will also be present for a question-and-answer session on one of the most impactful campaigns against drinking and driving.
MasterDrive is looking forward to our first Driving the Influence event in Transport Month. “With commitment from all industries and individuals we believe we will see a measurable impact on the high rates of drinking and driving on South African roads. The importance of this is particularly significant as we head into the first festive season since 2019 without lockdown and greater freedom of movement,” says Herbert.
In-person registration HERE.
Virtual registration HERE.
WIN: Stand to win a Formula 1 trip of a lifetime and up to R300,000 with Betway
Stand to win a Formula 1 trip of a lifetime and up to R300,000 with Betway. Predict the result of each Grand Prix in our 4 To Flag promotion. Add your predictions to a betslip and enter our end-of-season draw. You could be jetting off to watch F1 live.
Posted by MasterDrive South Africa
For more news on road safety initiatives and how you can stay safer, follow our motoring page.
There are no comments to display.
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.